If you are a survivor of crime or abuse, you may have immigration options.

The Meyer Law Office, P.C. is dedicated to helping immigrant victims and survivors of crime and abuse to safely obtain their immigration status. If you or a family member is a victim of a crime, if you have been abused by a spouse or family member, or if you have been a victim of human trafficking, our office is here to help. Most of the “victims” we help are in fact survivors who have shown admirable courage and strength. They persevered through their own determination or refusal to give up. We honor them. We simply use the word “victim” in this summary because that is the word used in the law. There are several immigration benefits that a victim of crime will qualify for under current immigration law:

What is a U Visa?

U visas give victims of certain crimes work permits, deferred action, U visa immigration status, and eventually permanent residency (a green card) if they have helped, are helping, or will help the police or law enforcement with the investigation or prosecution of certain crimes. The U visa is an important and powerful tool to provide protection and a pathway to immigration status to victims who step forward to seek assistance from our legal system.

The benefits of a U visa – including a work permit, deferred action, and a pathway to lawful permanent residency – are also available to an applicant’s spouse, minor children, and parents (if the victim is a minor). This provides an important opportunity for families to apply together for immigration protection and status.

If you are a victim of a crime, our office can help determine you and your family’s eligibility for a U Visa, and work with you to prepare and file all necessary applications and evidence to win your case.



What is VAWA?

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) is an important immigration process that allows spouses, children, and parents of U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents to leave an abusive relationship and apply for status on their own – a process called a self-petition. 

A person may qualify for VAWA status not only in situations where there is physical abuse, but also where there is emotional, financial, document (immigration status) abuse, or other types of abuse as well. In addition, applying for permanent residency status under VAWA does not require the involvement by the police at any point.  It allows applicants to prove their case through other types of evidence. 

If you have questions about VAWA status, please contact our office to set up a consultation and discuss this important benefit in more detail.

T Visas

T visas are for people who were forced or tricked to either come to the United States or stay in the United States for sex work or for labor that they cannot refuse.  

T-visas for sex trafficking victims are available when someone uses force, fraud, or threats to make a non-citizen provide sex for pay as part of a business.

T-visas for labor trafficking victims are available when someone uses force, fraud, or threats to make a person provide their labor without the freedom to leave.

Protection for Survivors in Removal Proceedings

Even in situations where a person is in immigration court, they can still apply for U visa, VAWA, and T visa protections.  In fact, in many situations, being in immigration court can provide additional opportunities to seek these and other protections that provide a path to permanent residency (a green card). 

If you are in removal proceedings before an immigration judge, please contact our office for help to apply for these important protections.